Yesterday we were notified by ABBA Fund that we were not approved for the no-interest loan. There are just too many people needing financial assistance and they can't help everyone. Their e-mail was very encouraging and I understand that they can't loan money to everyone who asks. I have to admit, though, I was surprised that we were not approved.
A loan makes so much sense to me because we should get a tax credit and we have a grant that won't be sent until the child is in our home. Both of these are cases where we need the money up front and then will be reimbursed - sounds to me like a loan would work. I honestly thought that was how God was going to provide the last of the money we need before we can be matched. I really thought I'd soon be able to tell the agency, "We're ready to be matched!" I thought this organization was ideal because we wouldn't have to pay any interest. God MAY still provide a loan, but this is a definite reminder that God does NOT work like I work and He does NOT think like I think. Isaiah 55:9 states it clearly - "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." Funny (actually it's sad) that I as a human try to figure out how God will work and even base much of my confidence and my plans on the way I think it's best for Him to work.
As I was going to sleep last night I decided to listen to a sermon titled "How to Live for God's Glory." The main point was "We glorify God by trusting Him." What a timely message for me. The preacher used Abraham and Sarah (and the birth of Isaac) as an example of this point.
"Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations, just as it had been said to him, 'So shall your offspring be.' Without weakening in his faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead—since he was about a hundred years old—and that Sarah's womb was also dead. Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised." Romans 4:18-21 (NIV)
I don't know how many times God has used the story of Abraham and Sarah to encourage and challenge me through this adoption journey. We have not waited any time compared to them and yet Abraham believed. The situation seemed impossible and yet Abraham believed. God has also used their story to warn me not to run ahead and try to accomplish things in my way or in my time. If I try to "help" God, I will just make a mess of the situation. And, so, I'm trying to wait and believe.
Please pray that we will sense God's guidance as to what other steps we need to take. We do hope to do the Both Hands fundraiser soon. http://www.lifesongfororphans.org/bothHands.html
We have had a wonderful weekend. We were blessed to spend Friday night in Cincinnati and spend Saturday at Coney Island. (Someone paid all our expenses. It was a special time for our family -- a mini-vacation.) It was extra special that we were able to spend time with Brad's mom & stepdad. We made great memories and of course we took lots of pictures. I hope to upload some soon but can't with dial-up.
Have a blessed sabbath - REST in HIM!!!
I am reminded of the movie "Evan Almighty" and the part where Evan is protesting to "God" about all his own plans. "God" just starts chuckling and laughing, so Evan asks what's so funny. "God" says, "Your plans." :)
ReplyDeleteI know it's NOT easy to have your plans put on hold... again... and AGAIN...
Go scream in a pillow, take a bubble bath, walk in the woods and take a breath.
I love you! Praying for you and yours.